A hot tub cover is a vital component to your hot tub. It helps retain heat and water, prevents children, pets, and pests from entering your spa, and protects your spa from dirt, dust, sticks, and other unwanted items. A new hot tub cover can cost anywhere from $100 to $1,000 and will likely need to be replaced every 3 to 8 years depending on how you take care of it. If you want to save money and make your cover last longer, it’s important to properly care for your cover.
You’ll likely have to occasionally brush dirt or even now off your hot tub cover, but it’s important to give it a proper clean every now and then. Here’s what you’ll need to clean your hot tub cover:
- A Hot Tub Cover Cleanser
- A Scrub Brush
- A Hose
How To Clean Your Hot Tub Cover
- Remove your hot tub cover and place it flat with the top up.
- Spray on the cover cleanser and scrub it into your cover.
- Wipe your cover clean of any cleanser.
- Some cover cleansers may tell you to rinse them off, others will not. Read the instructions on yours to see what you should do.
- Flip the cover over to the other side.
- Spray the cover cleanser on your cover and scrub it in.
- Wipe the cover clean of any cleanser.
- Consult your cleanser’s directions to see if it needs to be rinsed off.
- Wipe down the underside of your cover with a solution of 10 parts water to 1 part white vinegar. This helps to prevent mold and mildew buildup.
- Apply a vinyl protectant to your cover.
- Now that your cover is clean, you can place it back on your spa.
Do I Need To Use a Hot Tub Cover Cleanser?
No. You don’t have to use a hot tub cleanser to clean your cover, but you should still clean your cover. Most hot tub covers are made with vinyl. The benefit to a hot tub cleanser is most are safe to use on vinyl, and some even contain protectant. If you choose to use something else besides a cleanser specifically for hot tubs, look for something without alcohol, oil, detergent, or silicone. All of these can damage your hot tub cover.